Saturday, September 6, 2008

Listen up, the teacher has something to say...

I was just thinking about how consuming teaching is. Teaching is a huge part of my life. It's my passion, my talent (that needs more developing), that thing I do all day, my blessing, and sometimes my curse! I love teaching, and I thought it would be a good experience for me to start a blog and record some of my experiences and thoughts as I travel down this bumpy road that people call teaching. I'll try to share those funny experiences, the difficult ones, good ideas that worked, not-so-good ideas that didn't work, and just my thoughts and reflections on what it means to be a teacher.
I first decided that I wanted to be a teacher in 8th grade (which is ironic because I now teach mostly 8th graders). The runners-up to teaching were: a world famous author, an airplane pilot, a meteorologist, an astronaut, or a veterinarian. I actually made a pro/con list for all of these occupations when I was a short, brace-faced, clumsy, awkward 8th grader and teaching came out on top. And it still does. (And I'm still short, clumsy, and awkward...the only thing that has changed is that I finally got my braces off). Teaching isn't for everyone but it is definitely a just-right fit for me. There are hard days and there are those students that make one question one's choice of occupation, but for the most part, I see teaching as a special and important calling in life. I love my students. I love the people that I work with. And sometimes when I'm sitting at my desk after a long day, I can't help but think, "How did I get so lucky?"

No comments:

Funny things students say/do:

  • A Pronoun is a noun who has lost his amateur status.
  • Did we do anything yesterday when I was gone?