Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thoughts on Teaching and a Thing called Money

The Equity Project (TEP) opened a charter school in New York City in 2009. A new charter school is nothing new these days, but this school has caught my attention for three reasons:
1. They teach Latin. What's that you say? Latin? Yes, Latin. This is a school that consists of 6th-8th graders. Why Latin? You ask. I don't know. They have a very basic curriculum: math, science, English, music, P.E./health...and Latin. I suppose knowing Latin could help you with root words and give you a foundation for learning any of the romance languages, but I'm not sure it is high on my things-I-want-my-kids-to-know list. Ah, well, to everyone their own.
2. There are 480 students in the school and a majority of these students come from low-income families. Many of these students are not gifted and talented students, but rather, students who struggle. So in other words, this is a school that can choose its students, and chooses to say, "Bring me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to be free."
3. This school recognizes the teacher as the crucial component of education. As such, the teacher average salary at this school is $125,000. Wait! How many zeroes did I just type? Are these teachers also playing a sport on the side? Nope. The number is correct. In addition to this salary, there is a possible $25,000 bonus based on school-wide achievement. Teachers are required to take a one year sabbatical every five to six years. This is something I think every teacher should do. Burn out is too common among teachers. To earn the wage listed above, teachers are required to work from 7 am to 6 pm and to complete a six week teacher development course during the summer. I could do this; I do this...just not for $125,000. My principal once asked me if I was independently wealthy or stupid. I'm not wealthy, that's for sure. My husband tells me that at some point (mathematically) if you work too many hours, you begin to lose money rather than make money. I've been losing money for years. I don't know how to fit all the stuff teachers do into the few hours between 7 am and 3 pm. This school sounds like a dream to me...a place I heard of once in a lullaby. You not only just do your job, you show your passion and talent through hard work and devotion, and you get paid what you're worth. This is what dreams are made of...
For more info on this school, you can check it out at: www.tepcharter.org.
I want to label this 'inspiration', but perhaps I will create a new label: 'jealousy'. =)

No comments:

Funny things students say/do:

  • A Pronoun is a noun who has lost his amateur status.
  • Did we do anything yesterday when I was gone?